1. WHEN YOU SING, YOU OBEY GOD.
- Singing isn’t an option in Scripture; it’s a command:
- “And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart…” (Eph. 5:18-19)
2. WHEN YOU SING, YOU STAY ROOTED IN THE WORD.
- “Let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly…singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs…” (Col. 3:16)
- The Apostle Paul declared that we sing that which dwells in us – the Word of Christ.
3. WHEN YOU SING, YOU TEACH OTHERS.
- “…teaching…one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs…” (Col. 3:16)
- Most hymns contain messages from God’s word. When we sing, we teach!
4. WHEN YOU SING, YOU WARN UP OTHERS.
- “…admonishing one another…singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs…” (Col. 3:16)
- Admonish means to caution, warn or reprimand. When we sing we urge others to stay on the right path.
5. WHEN YOU SING, YOU INFURIATE SATAN.
- “…singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart…” (Eph. 5:19)
- The devil is incensed when God and Christ are praised in song.
6. WHEN YOU SING, IT IS EASIER TO ENDURE TRIALS.
- What did Paul and Silas do while unjustly imprisoned for the sake of the Gospel in Philippi?
- They prayed and sang hymns to God - Acts 16:25.
7. WHEN YOU SING, YOU TAKE THE EXPRESSWAY TO JOY.
- “Let all who take refuge in you rejoice; let them ever sing for joy, and spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may exult in you.” (Psa. 5:11)
- “I will be glad and exult in you; I will sing praise to your name, O Most High.” (Psa. 9:2)
8. WHEN YOU SING, YOU GLORIFY GOD!
- “Sing aloud to God our strength; Make a joyful shout to the God of Jacob.” (Psa 81:1)
- This is the best reason of all to sing!
Jesus, always Jesus!