10 STEPS TO DEFEATING PORN (and other) ADDICTIONS (Pt. 2)
In my last article, I shared 5 initial steps to overcoming porn addiction. They were:
1. Acknowledge that pornography is sinful.
2. Admit your addiction to yourself.
3. Confess your addiction to God.
4. Don’t play the blame game.
5. Commit to overcoming your addiction, no matter what.
----------------- 5 Additional Steps -----------------
6. MEMORIZE SCRIPTURES CONNECTED WITH THE SIN OF PORNOGRAPHY.
- David wrote, “Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I MIGHT NOT SIN against you…”
Pertinent passages include Mt. 5:28, Rom. 6:12-13, Gal. 5:16; 19-21 & 1 Jn. 2:16.
7. DETERMINE TO SAY “NO” JUST FOR TODAY.
- Don't worry about how you will resist tomorrow, next week or next month.
- Addictions are defeated 1 day the time.
- “…do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things.” (Mt. 6:34)
- One of Satan's strategies is to discourage us with mistakes from the past.
- Paul wrote, “…one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching
9. REPLACE THE ADDICTION WITH A GOOD HABIT.
- Repentance not only means to turn away from sin, but to do good in its place.
- Check out Eph. 4:25-32.
- James wrote, “Confess your trespasses to one another (even one person), and pray for
- Many Christians are reluctant to confide addictions to others for fear of being looked down
- Please consider 2 things:
2. Studies indicate that those that share struggles with trustworthy associates are more likely to overcome their issues.
“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” (Phil 4:13)
Jesus, always Jesus!